TIP is looking for the following candidates who can solve important challenges in the UAE through breakthrough innovation. To be eligible to apply for monetary and in-kind awards, applicants should meet the following criteria:
- An individual, organization, startup, innovator, entrepreneur or a student around the globe.
- Have developed or theorized a technology that addresses the TIP challenges.
- Should be willing to relocate to UAE and the invention should be brought to UAE for development and patent protection.
- Participation Guidelines:
- The application and documentations must be in English.
- The applicant must fill out the entire form. Partially completed applications will not be accepted.
- Only applications submitted through TIP platform will be considered.
- Any reference to links or other websites within the TIP platform application is not permitted.
- All successful applicants agree to be part of the TIP interview program that aims to describe applicants’ inventions.
- Only successful application submissions will receive auto confirmation receipt sent to the registered email address.
- Participation Fees
There is no Fees to register and participate in TIP 2019.
- Deadline of Application
Official applications will open at the end of January 2019 with a final deadline set to be 1st November 2019 (TIP administration will announce any granted extension at the TIP platform).
Applicants may only apply for one challenge, duplicate applications of the same challenge will not be considered.
- Evaluation and Interview Process
- The successfully submitted applications will undergo an initial compliance screening to shortlist applicants for interview stage.
- Interview takes place online with TIP Analysts. Instructions and guidelines from email@example.com will be circulated to shortlisted applicants before the interview week.
- Confirmation of interview date and time will have a deadline, any confirmation from applicant received after the given interview deadline will not be considered.
- Additional documents requested during the interview should be emailed to TIP at firstname.lastname@example.org in the given timeframe, failure to submit the same will lead to rejection of the application.
- No show for the interview and rescheduling due to any reasons will not be permitted.
- Applicants are expected to be prepared for the interview and to be able to answer/provide the invention description, pictures of prototype, regulations approval documents, cost estimate of one unit or service and a business model, level of development of the invention, application areas, use cases, published/granted patent documents, etc. The applicants may be asked, during the interview or later, to provide additional details and/or documents related to their application.
- The interviewed cases will be analyzed based on the information provided during the interview and the submitted application and supporting documents against various parameters such as innovation in technology, relevance to UAE, development level, patent status, market need, challenge fitness, etc.
- The shortlisted applications will be discussed within a committee/panel of challenge owners, Abu Dhabi DED, experts, analysts and stakeholders, and the applications will be shortlisted further if they fall under the selection criteria of the panel.
- The applicants will be informed about the outcome of their application along with the next steps.
- Use of information and publicity
By participating in TIP, you are consenting that any participation in photos or video can be used and published in any TIP publication including but not limited to websites, social media platforms, TIP flyers or newsletter for the purpose of marketing and to be used as part of TIP Summit 2020.
The Participant hereby grants to TIP a royalty-free, non-exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide right to refer to the Participant and/or the Work Results and to use images and/or video/audio footage taken at the Event and/or showing the Work Results in any publicity materials and for promotional purposes at any time (including but not limited to Organizer websites or other media).
TIP stores and processes data exclusively in the sense and in compliance with the applicable data protection laws. Participants will be contacted in connection with the program and the summit, and unless otherwise indicated may also be contacted about other relevant activities and opportunities.
Participants consent that TIP may use each member’s name, city, state, e-mail address, likeness, and the team’s Work Results and/or prize or Incentive information in connection with the TIP summit for promotional, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where prohibited by law. Moreover, the data including e-mail address will be passed on to persons who are directly involved in the implementation of the ID. Except as expressly provided herein, nothing in the General Terms and Conditions or Official Rules may be construed as transferring any rights of ownership or license, by implication, estoppel or otherwise, of either party’s products, technology or intellectual property, including but not limited to, such party’s marks.
The Participant may not assign, sub-contract or otherwise transfer his/her rights or obligations under these terms and conditions.
All information and documents disclosed to TIP will be treated as confidential and will be an integral part of the patent registration process within TIP program in the Department of Economic Development – Abu Dhabi. All documents provided to TIP is for TIP Analyst evaluation purpose only.
On the other hand In this clause “Confidential Information” means secret or confidential commercial, financial, marketing, technical or other information, know-how, trade secrets and other information in any form or medium whether disclosed orally or in writing, together with any reproductions of such information in any form or medium or any part(s) of this information.
The Participant acknowledges that it may receive or have access to Confidential Information of TIP, its affiliates, agents and/or suppliers in connection with the program or the summit. All Confidential Information shall be kept strictly confidential by the Participant, regardless of whether such information is marked as “confidential”. The Participant agrees that it shall use at least the same degree of diligence to protect the Confidential Information as it uses to protect his/her own confidential and sensitive information (being no less than a reasonable level of diligence). The Participant will not disclose any Confidential Information to anyone. The Participant agrees that it will not use the Confidential Information for any purpose other than participating in the Event.
The above obligations of confidentiality shall not apply to Confidential Information to the extent that: (i) the Confidential Information is, or becomes (other than through a breach of these terms and conditions or other confidentiality obligations in place) generally known to the public; or (ii) the Confidential Information is proven by documentary evidence to have been developed independently by the Participant without reference to a Partner or its affiliates’ Confidential Information; or (iii) the Confidential Information was rightfully received in good faith by the Participant without obligation of confidentiality from a third party; or (iv) disclosure is required by law, provided that (where reasonably practicable to do so) the disclosing party gives the non-disclosing party prompt written notice of the request for disclosure, cooperates with the non-disclosing party in obtaining protective order or other remedy, and discloses only that portion of the Confidential Information which it is legally compelled to disclose.
- Intellectual Property Rights
Ownership of intellectual property rights of the work created and achieved within the scope of TIP program, such as ideas and prototypes (including all interim results and preliminary stages, hereinafter “Work Results”) remain with the Participants.
By submitting the Work Results, the Participant confirms that he/she is not aware of any intellectual property rights in or associated with the Work Results that are owned by third parties or may prevent commercial exploitation of the Work Results.
Further, the applicant is expected to have clear and documented ownership of Intellectual Property rights and agreed share of IP implementation and exploitation (e.g., commercialization, licensing, usage, selling, etc.) if more than one parties (e.g., inventors, universities, corporates) are involved and/or associated, in any way, with the intellectual property asset. The applicant may be asked to submit such documents to TIP.
IP ownership to be handled by institutions if the application is applied by a student/ researcher.
- Selection Procedure and Timeframe
- 31st January 2019 – 1st November 2019
- Application phase
- 1st and 2nd week of July, August, September, October and November 2019
- Interview phase
- November 2019
- Deep evaluation by the Jury
- December 2019
- To rank the top selected applicants
- January 2019
- Pitch training of 50 start-ups & announcement of Finalists
- 4th – 5th February 2019
- TIP Summit 2020, announcement of Winners at Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Judging and collaboration incentives
The panel of judges is selected by TIP program and may change in the Event of unforeseen circumstances.
Prototypes and oral presentations will be judged by a panel of judges based upon the following equally weighted criteria: (1) Challenge fit; (2) Innovativeness (3) Feasibility; (4) Progress and (5) Implementation motivation. Decisions are final and binding in all respects.
TIP reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to award additional awards or to vary the awards. Incentives may be subject to separate terms and conditions at the discretion of TIP.
TIP has no responsibility for how the Incentive is subsequently used by the Participant. If the Incentive is accepted by a group of Participants, TIP has no responsibility for how compensation or reimbursement are distributed between them nor for any disagreements between them.
Agreed funded POC will be monitored accordingly to all agreed milestones. The agreement will be subject to cancellation if no progress has been achieved.
- Award and Prizes:
- 12:1 Certificate of Participation
- All participants will receive a TIP program participation Certificate and will be invited to participate in TIP Summit in Feb 2020.
- 12.2. Finalist:
- TIP program will select 25 total finalists per sector to be announced the following Awards ceremonies:
- Individual Booth stand at TIP Summit 2020.
- Meet with investors on TIP Deal Day 2020.
- TIP program with the challenge owners will decide on total selected winner for each sector with any or all following awards Categories:
- Cash Price (To be announced)
- Accommodation up to 2 members to attend TIP Summit 2020
- Travel Cost up to 2 members to attend the TIP Summit 2020
- Certificate of participation and TIP trophy
- Personal Interviews posted at TIP social media platforms
- An Individual Booth stand at TIP Summit 2020
- Participation at meet with investors on TIP Deal Day 2020
- The payment of funded POCs will be allocated in proofing the concept coordinated with a qualified institution/incubation on prototyping facility in the UAE and not paid directly to an individual for the purpose of POC.